How I Got Started
My childhood wasn’t easy. My dad left us before my brother and I were even born. Single parenting for my mom, who had developed mental health issues, was a challenge.
Growing up in poverty, violence, and discrimination negatively influenced the way I related to myself and others. I developed unhealthy coping mechanisms to survive.
Fortunately, I had an outlet – dance.
And dance, along with years of therapy was a big part of my healing process.
My early childhood trauma motivated me to move out of the projects… to feel safe and secure, to get a higher education, and become a school psychologist.
Through dance I became aware of my unhealthy thought patterns, beliefs, and behaviors which guided me back home to self-love.
Three degrees later and many, many hours on the dance floor, I’ve created a psychology-based coaching and personal development dance program to support other women in living their best life possible.
Michelle Morales is the founder of Dance Warriors, a program created to help women live more authentically and build self-confidence. With her M.S. in Counseling and extensive background in behavioral analysis and dance, she uses her diverse skills to guide women back home to themselves and dance their way to self-love. She also spends her days helping children with their emotional and academic needs as a School Psychologist.
Michelle offers various services, including 1:1 Coaching, dance workshops, empowerment seminars and more.
Education and Experience
- M.S. in Counseling with specialization in School Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology
- Trained in Mental Health, Applied Behavioral Analysis, Social-Emotional Learning, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and Solution-Focused Therapy.
- Over 7 years of experience working as a Behavioral Specialist/Interventionist in the home and school settings
- 7 years of experience working as a School Psychologist.
- Over 10 years of experience working with diverse and multicultural families in the home and school settings.
Dance Experience and Training
- Michelle grew up performing to a variety of Latin dances and had her first stage performance at the age of 5.
- Michelle fell in love with salsa when she first joined the California State University, Northridge Salsa performance team (Salsa Libre) and went on to become the president of the club/team.
- She has extensively trained with some of L.A’s top Salsa Instructors and Choreographers, including Jhesus Aponte, Stephanie Stevenson, Kimberli Flores, Lyrik Cruz, and Shani Talmor. She has also participated in dance intensives with Galen Hooks, Brinn Nicole, and Aisha Francis.
- She has competed and placed 1stin the LA’s Top Female Solo Salsa Competition, Amateur Division in 2015 and LA’s Top Social Salsa Dancer Competition, Open Level in 2018.